On Thursday afternoon past, my daughter and I went to AID an automotive and home improvement store to get a new air freshener for my vehicle and to browse through the household section.

Soon after entering the store, she asked to use the restroom so a clerk directed us out of the main building to a smaller building in the back.

Upon entering the building we discovered that it housed the staff deli and about 12-16 employees were inside taking a break. Some chatted, some slept, and others had their eyes glued to a TV screen watching a movie.

Everyone seemed at ease like it was just another work day, but little did they know that in a matter of minutes it would become a day they would never forget.

After using the restroom, we returned to the household section in the main store and browsed through some sheets, towels, bath accessories and curtains. We noted the ones we thought would suit the décor of our home then headed to the front of the store to look for the air freshener.

As soon as we neared the air fresheners an alarm went off……… Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!Beep!

Puzzled, my daughter looked at me and asked what the sound was. I glanced around the store and no one seemed concerned so I shrugged my shoulders and casually responded that an alarm must have tripped and someone would probably soon turn it off.  We spent some more time looking at the air fresheners, chose and paid for one and left the store.

About one minute after I pulled out of the store’s parking lot on to the main road, my daughter said, “Mummy look, smoke is coming out of the roof of the building!” I looked and sure enough, there was a large cloud of smoke forming over the store’s roof.

At that point I realized that the beeping that we heard in the store was not just a tripped alarm, it was a fire alarm and I said, “Wow, Lord thank you! Thank you for allowing us to get out of that store safely before any disaster struck. Thank you for your divine protection, thank you, thank you, thank you!” 

Due to the heavy, slow-moving traffic, three minutes after leaving the store we were still in its vicinity. Thick clouds of smoke  billowed out of the building’s roof and a burning scent filled the area. Soon the distant wail of sirens could be heard as fire engines raced to the scene.

My praise and thankfulness to God for His divine protection on our lives increased when two hours later we joined a large crowd of onlookers and watched a crew of firemen fighting to extinguish the now raging fire.  As I watched, I thought to myself, what if we had stayed in the building just a few minutes longer? Lord, thank you!

My sense of gratitude increased even further when I later learned from news reports that the fire was eventually brought under control around 8:30pm that evening and even though the entire building and all of its contents were destroyed, there was no loss of life and all employees and customers were safe; just a few persons were treated for smoke inhalation………Isn’t God good!

This morning as I reflected on the incident, I thought about the uncertainty of life.

One minute the employees were busy doing their duties or relaxing in the deli on a break……… a few minutes later the continuation of their employment was questionable.

One minute the owners had a longstanding prosperous business………a few minutes later it was only a memory.

One minute I was in the store making plans about potential future purchases………..a few minutes later there was no merchandise to buy or store to buy it from.


The events that unfolded at AID last Thursday were a stark reminder that life is full of unexpected twists and turns and we really do not know what will happen on any given day.

While this is true, I thank God that as a Kingdom Citizen I do not have to live in fear, and nor do you.

We have the privilege of resting in the reality of God’s divine protection and in the fact that although we do not know what tomorrow holds, we know who holds tomorrow and He is entirely trustworthy.

This afternoon I drove past AID and there is nothing left of the store but a charred, twisted building frame, broken glass and a multitude of burnt, sooty unidentifiable items.

Again I thank God for His divine protection from potential disaster…………..and my daughter thanks Him too.



   Copyright © 2011 by Kim, Author of “Unwalled” Blog, All rights reserved.