IT’S ELECTION TIME! – WHOSE VOICE WILL YOU FOLLOW THIS POLITICAL SEASON?
Like several other countries in the world, once again the Bahamas is on the verge of another general election and so-called “election fever” is in the air.
Almost everywhere you turn, people are talking politics or predicting the next government and prime minister. The atmosphere is filled with opinions and political prophets abound.
With all the noise in the marketplace, rallies, fanfare, and emotional hullabaloo, there are plenty opportunities for God’s people to become caught up in the political whirlwind and lose focus of our electorate responsibility as Kingdom Citizens.
The direction that a nation takes and the manner in which it is built is greatly influenced by its governmental leaders.
Proverbs 28:12 states, “When the righteous triumph, there is great elation; but when the wicked rise to power, men go into hiding.” – (NIV-1984)
Proverbs 29:2 states, “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan.” – (NKJV)
Considering the above, it is incumbent upon us as Kingdom Citizens to use our voting privileges to in as much as possible elect godly men and women to office and therefore as the primary decision makers in our country’s governmental affairs.
This is extremely important for many reasons, a few being:
1) The more godly persons in positions of governmental authority, the more likely a country to retain or even expand its degree of religious freedom.
2) The more godly persons in office, the less likely the implementation of laws that oppose godly principles.
3) The more godly persons in positions of governmental authority, the easier it will be for the King’s agenda to go forward and for His dominion established in a nation.
4) As Kingdom Citizens, we are called to obey and be subject to civil authorities (Romans 13:1, 2; I Peter 2:13-14; Titus 3:1) and it will more than likely be easier to obey godly authorities than ungodly ones.
When faced with the opportunity to exercise our voting privilege, it is our responsibility as Believers/Kingdom Citizens to carefully and prayerfully consider the presented candidates and to in as much as possible seek to elect godly men and women that will support and not oppose God’s purposes.
The following are some facts about us as Believers that will help us maintain a Kingdom perspective during a political season.
1) As Believers, we are citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven and therefore foreigners in this earthly realm.
2) Our spiritual citizenship in God’s Kingdom is higher than, and therefore takes precedence over our earthly citizenship, e.g., Bahamian citizenship, US citizenship etc.
3) As citizens of the Kingdom of God, our ultimate allegiance, or loyalty is to be to God as our Sovereign King.
4) The Constitution of our Kingdom is the Word of God therefore we are to govern every aspect of our lives according to the principles contained therein. The Word of God is our supreme law and we are to obey it above all others.
5) As Kingdom Citizens, we have been appointed as ambassadors of the King. We live in the country that we do because He has called us to be His representatives/agents in that particular earthly territory.
6) As Kingdom Ambassadors, we relinquish all rights to present and act on our own personal opinions. The only position we are to take on an issue is that of our Government or King. We are to yield to and uphold the position of the King and to readily advance His Kingdom’s agenda in whichever arena or capacity we may function.
7) As Kingdom Ambassadors, our main mission is to make disciples of all nations and to expand the dominion of the King on the earth. The cause of Christ is what we live for and what we are to be prepared to die for.
People of God, during this election season please be wary of becoming so caught up in the political frenzy that you lose sight of your Kingdom focus and allow someone or something other than God to decide your involvement in the electoral process.
Because it’s election time, there is an abundance of voices in the atmosphere vying for our attention and support, and it’s okay to hear them, but at the end of the day, as ambassadors in a foreign territory we must settle ourselves, be sober, and listen for the voice of our King; for His opinion, for His instruction.
In John 10:27, Jesus, our King and sovereign ruler states, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me” – (NIV-1984)
Jesus is our master mentor and one thing that stands out in His life is His obedience to the Father.
In John 5:30 He states, “I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord–but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent Me.” – (Amplified Bible)
When preparing to vote, God desires us to seek His will regarding our voting decision and to vote for whomever He confirms in our spirit as the candidate.
Remember, as Kingdom Ambassadors, the only position we are to take on an issue or matter is that of our Government or King.
If the Lord leads you to vote for the candidate that you in and of yourself want to vote for, great!
But, what if this is not the case,what if He leads you to vote for someone who you do not want to support?
What if as a diehard PLP you distinctly and unmistakably sense Him telling you to vote for the FNM candidate?
What if as a diehard FNM you distinctly and unmistakably sense Him telling you to vote for the DNA candidate?
Or, what if you are a diehard Republican and you distinctly and unmistakably sense Him telling you to vote for the Democrat candidate or vice-versa?
WHOSE VOICE WILL YOU FOLLOW?
Remember, as Kingdom Citizens and Ambassadors, our allegiance is to be to the King and not to any party, organization or man.
Many claim to be “the man with the plan”, but in reality, only God knows what is best for our nation because He alone knows the past, present and future so the bottom line is it is best to go with Him.
Isaiah 30:1-3 states, “Woe to the obstinate children,” declares the LORD, “to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin; who go down to Egypt without consulting me; who look for help to Pharaoh’s protection, to Egypt’s shade for refuge. But Pharaoh’s protection will be to your shame, Egypt’s shade will bring you disgrace.” – (NIV-1984)
IT’S ELECTION TIME! – WHOSE VOICE WILL YOU FOLLOW THIS POLITICAL SEASON?
THE VOICE OF MAN?
THE VOICE OF THE LORD?
I pray that on election day every Believer in the Bahamas and in any other nation that may hold general elections, will seek the Lord re: who to vote for and by God’s grace have the spiritual fortitude to obey and mark his/her “X” wherever the Lord says, trusting in His wisdom, sovereignty and power and not in man’s words.
“Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save.”
(Psalms 46:3 – NIV-1984)
“It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.”
(Psalms 118:8 – NIV-1984)
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
(Proverbs 3:5, 6 – NIV-1984)
Copyright © 2012 by Kim, Author of “Unwalled” Blog, All rights reserved.